Yeah, I've been a bit neglectful of this blog - so sorry. But, I have been making somewhat regular posts over at SoloTravelGirl.com.
Okay, since that's out of the way, onto to tastier things, what I've been cooking in the kitchen. This past weekend it was mint M&M ice cream sundaes. I had last Friday off and was flipping around the TV when I saw "Down Home with the Neelys"and they were cooking up some good eats. Their recipe for mint chocolate chip ice cream had me at "mint chocolate chip ice cream" so I decided to make a batch. Here's a link to their recipe for mint chocolate chip ice cream and here's how I tweaked it:
- One 14oz can sweetened condensed milk , chilled
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, chilled
- 1 1/2 teaspoons peppermint extract
- 1/8 teaspoon green food coloring
- 1 cup mini M&Ms candies (I had a BOGO coupon for M&Ms, used one bag for my office trail mix snack and don’t think it was a good substitute to mini chocolate morsels)
- Mix the milk, cream, peppermint extract and green food coloring together in a large bowl and refrigerate until cold;
- Pour cream mixture into ice cream machine and turn it on;
- Churn until the mixture looks slushy like soft serve, about 12 to 15 minutes;
- Stir in the mini M&Ms candies (In theory, you wait this long to pour in the chips otherwise they will sink to the bottom because they are heavier than the mixture. The M&Ms sunk even after the mixture was slushy.);
- Transfer the ice cream to another container and put plastic wrap on top of the ice cream;
- Cover the container tightly with a lid;
- Freeze for several hours until firm enough to scoop.
Image at Top: The Neelys (Center) with Guy Fieri (Left) and Paula Deen (Right) at the Food Network SoBe Wine & Food Festival, Feb. 2009
Image at Bottom: Mint Ice Cream Sundae